Utah GOP Parliamentarian, Ms. Carrie Dickson, Reprimanded by The National Association of Parliamentarians for her unethical conduct during the UTGOP SCC September 9th meeting!
Shortly after the UTGOP’s September 9, 2017 contentious SCC meeting, a 17 page formal complaint was filed with the NAP by SCC member William Olson on behalf of the SCC. The complaint alleged 43 counts of NAP ethics code violations against Ms. Carrie Dickson who advised Chairman Robert Anderson during the 5 hour long meeting. (The NAP is the national body that certifies professional registered parliamentarians including Ms. Dickson).
The 43 counts included:
- 2 counts of failure to “prepare adequately for each job and fulfill all commitments.” (NAP Ethics Code 4.2)
- 17 counts of failure to “advise the client on the proper application of the accepted rules of parliamentary procedure notwithstanding the client’s personal desires in the matter.”( NAP Ethics Code 4.3)
- 9 counts of failure to “maintain a position of objectivity and impartiality and refrain from participating in debate.” (NAP Ethics Code 4.6), and;
- 15 counts of failure to “call to the attention of the presiding officer any deviation from the rules that may be harmful to the organization.” (NAP Ethics Code 4.7)
During its nearly three month long secret investigation, the NAP Ethics Committee found Ms. Dickson guilty on 5 counts.
- 2 counts for failure to “advise the client on the proper application of the accepted rules of parliamentary procedure notwithstanding the client’s personal desires in the matter,” and;
- 3 counts for failure to “call to the attention of the presiding officer any deviation from the rules that may be harmful to the organization.”
Ms. Dickson was officially REPREMANDED by the very Association responsible for certifying her as a Professional Registered Parliamentarian! The UTGOP deserves better!
The SCC is the governing and policy making body of the UTGOP and as a deliberative assembly requires the assistance of a Registered Parliamentarian while conducting its meetings. With these egregious ethical violations by Ms. Dickson, a 10 year parliamentarian for the UTGOP, I believe it is time for the SCC to establish a standing rule for approval of our Parliamentarians in order to better conduct the business of the UTGOP.